Monday, February 18, 2008

 
Telepathy

My sixth sense is back.
Since December.
It is back.
With a vengeance.

The bully taunted me.
Announced that I was pregnant.
My face flushed
With anger and shame.

Watch me, I swore quietly.
In December
We were in a cab
The bully piqued me again.

I cursed her.
Pregnant.
Just watch me, I said.
Indeed she has.

I felt in my guts.
As I do.
Like how I knew
The nasty things I went through.

******

Did I tell you that as a child I had a certain pensiveness about me?

I was pretty as a Japanese doll with a melancholic soul.

Obsessed with death since I was five- it was the year I nearly attempted suicide because I was angry.

You will never guess if you were to see the now live wire P to know she is that same quiet girl.

But I’m still that same girl.

I still love being alone-that quiet time for my soul to meditate.

At five, I would look out of the window in my classroom every Friday afternoon and I knew that one day when I grow up, I would live in a faraway land. My mind kept reiterating, “when I become sixteen…”


At twenty-eight going twenty-nine, my childhood revelations of the worst kind have come true and unfolded before my very life.

Things I tried avoiding with a vengeance lest my “imagined” life became one hell of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I had to be smart for me.

I went through some tough shit between age 21 to 25. Those images that have plagued my youth as I often lie in bed till the wee hours of the morning, the reason why I always have difficulty rising from my bed- because my mind is yet again thinking…

One more story that became more and more prominent in my head as I got older. I tried to dispel it. It is the pathetic story of my adult life- I am to fall for a married and polygamous man. He never loves me the way I do for him. I would love him beyond loving myself, he will always take me for granted and I will allow him time and again to do it to me.

I didn’t see how it could happen since I had DL. DL loved me to bits and I thought we would eventually get married. I still do.

Besides, I reasoned that I am too smart to let this happen to me.


But my story has happened.

****

Recently, I conducted small self-tests to confirm my karmaic finesse since I felt it coming back.

I lost my ability in those dark years with DL because my soul was distracted.

The clairvoyants I have been to all said, “P, you got to trust your instincts…”

Every so often now,I would think of a person, stranger or friend and sure enough, I’ll see or get contacted by that same person. Or I would think of a question about someone and the answer will somehow find its way and unfold before me.

Funny eh?


****

That year must be 2004. I was at Zouk members’ bar. A stranger came up to me to chat me up.

I looked straight at him.

“17th November.”

“What?”

“Your birthday.”

“Yeah. How do you know?”

“I just do.”

I made him show me his identification card to verify my wild punt. Voila- struck the jackpot.

He was the second person in that year that I made a correct guess.


****

A couple of times in the past few months when I was checking up on Nano’s friends in his Facebook account, I noticed one particular girl. She is Chinese and looks very plain amongst his other female babes who are hot and glamorous. My instincts marked her.

Nano had earlier mentioned when I got back to Sydney that he didn’t know what I have done to him but he likes Chinese girls now. I must leave a legacy behind. Whatever, I told him.

His latest hook up is Chinese, he said.

What was her name I asked.

“Ruby.”

“Ruby Shoes”

“You know her?”

“No, but I saw her on your Facebook and guess as much.”

“How come?”

“I don’t know. I just felt it when I saw her face.”



****

When the Old Boy and I first met each other’s acquaintance, there was something truly magical about our friendship. We read each other’s mind spot on.

The day we chatted online via his phone, we had a mini tiff. He was coming out of one of his sordid haunts on a rainy afternoon and going to a funeral. He spent that entire afternoon chatting to me on his phone in one corner as his male friends gallivanted away.

I don’t even remember what we argued about, except that I knew, I saw and I felt in my gut that he was sulking.

“Now, stop sulking, will you!” I told him.

“How do you know?”

“I just do. I can see you now.”

He was amazed and appeased.

As we got to know each other better, we began to make descriptions of our personal facial features. We had a code of honour to never seek out each other’s picture.

I was slowly seeing his face…

One day, when I was in a foul mood, the Old Boy sent me a picture of his baby boy to cheer me up. I stared at the picture and again that gut feeling overcame me once again.

I told him that Little Baby looks like him-nose down. Those eyes belong to his mother.

Spot on.

Finally when we arranged to meet at St James, I must’ve caught sight of his face in the crowd. I turned around again and I thought I lost him.

He did came up to me eventually because I have told him what I would wear- you can never miss P in the crowd with her fair skin and her pearls. The Old Boy said he knew it was me-it was my nose ever distinctively sharp.

****

Today after we have spoken online when I got home, I had a niggling feeling (that unshakeable feeling) that I am to find something very interesting in that electronic shady alleyway of his life.

It was a very affirmative gut feeling that I am to find what I think I would find there.

I clicked on the site and for some reason, the site took a while to load. My chest tightened because I felt that presence of the material that I was expecting. True enough, it was there…

****

I recall those magical days of mind-reading each other. We wrote some lyrical letters- perhaps I did bring that spring of hope to the Old Boy that maybe soul mates do exist…

During one of those intense moments of our interactions still as semi strangers, I recall entering the ladies at work and a thought struck me.

Would the Old Boy ever take courage to leave his lifeless marriage if he were to find true love and give his life a second chance and meaning again?

That same day later, I received an email from him wondering out loud the same question.

To which, I gave him my detailed take on his actions and his train of thought.

Again, spot on.

We did have a fair bit of chemistry going there.

Or was it telepathy?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?