Thursday, January 21, 2010

 
Home

I must say on most days, I am at peace.

I love being at home with my fashion creations around me in my mini studio. I spend many spare moments staring at my mannequinns, one in particular. I look out of the window next to my studio and watch the occasional passer-by on the footpath stroll past our garden with their dogs...

It is past 10 in the morning. I haven't got any appointments until 5pm. A few mundane paper related work awaits me. I am procrastinating and thinking about my unfinished blouse project that beckons me at my sewing desk. In about an hour, I should get up to prepare lunch- DL has a busy day today.

Some days I wonder how I have so gradually and successfully lost my weather worn anxiety. I really should be worried- the money is coming in a trickle from DL's business (though we are beginning to get busy but an impending death beckons him home at the last minute this weekend). He reminded me sternly last night another advertising payment is due on the first. Where should we find the money?

I don't know, I said, oblivious to the anxiety around me.

I find myself getting less hectic but more effective. Hopefully, the few deposits I get will convert to sale. Real soon- I have bills and debts to pay.

One sale and I might have a chance at paying all my bills.

Two sales and we will be going good.

Three sales, I will be coming back home to Singapore for a break from the mundanity of my life in Sad Town.

Then the royalties I collect will start making sense in our bank account.

Each sale I make thereafter, I could put it into the trust fund and pay for a year's tuition fees at the local grammar school if I have a child. If not, we will be going on holidays and planning towards a deposit for a house. Finally.

Actually, I think I will put that aside to get back to a fashion school and the leftover towards the other business project in the pipeline. Then there's more. My mum is hoping that she could persuade my dad to invest more in us in the next couple of years- a restaurant since it has always been the passion of DL and me. Maybe we will away from Sad Town. I have 3 places in my mind- Dubai, Paris or the Panama. We'll think about that when we get there.

In the meantime, I better sell.

Speaking of selling, I have amassed my own collection of fashion creations that I have done in the last eight years ago. I should really take it to the craft markets to sell once again. They should at least fetch me a few grand. Maybe then, I can start paying off some of my debts.

I am finding it hard to part with them- each painstakingly handsewn, painted and embellished with love.

For once, my love is soul deep.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?