Tuesday, January 26, 2010

 
Phobia

I have finally overcome my phobia of driving. Eleven years after. You cannot imagine how excited I feel, like I feel my entire life is about to change for the better.

My fear of driving had always been the bane of my social life. It was alsonfast handicapping my ability to conduct our core business efficiently, given that DL's other business is fast gaining momentum which meant that he couldn't be my designated driver like he used to be.

So when his Dad suddenly contacted him about his grandfather's impending death which eventuated into death 24 hours later, DL was called upon to return home to Singapore on the next available flight.

I was left with the car, my appointments and our businesses.

I had to get over my fear of driving alone. Or driving for that matter.

My first drive alone was to drop DL at the bus station to travel inter-state. I had Fluffball with me to see him off. Then on the same day, I had a business appointment in the afternoon. My trusted GPS that DL bought for me (and which I had vehemently resisted practising my driving despite the assurance that the GPS will solve all my fear of my lack of a sense of direction ) saved my day.

It's been Day four since I had the use of my car. This morning, I drove far south to my business appointment and was quite proud of my ability to follow the GPS instructions. As friends know, I am just shit with my directions.

A couple of hours ago, I went to a friend's birthday dinner.

It is Australia Day today.

As I drove home from the city, I felt a sense of inner peace and satisfaction that I have never felt before. There was the awesome fireworks blasting before me (like it was celebrating me) in the sky as I drove on away from the bustle of festive activities, soul music with "Sweet Georgia on my mind" playing on the radio filling up the interior of my car, I couldn't felt any happier and free.

I have finally regained my own freedom and freed myself from the shackles of my inner demons.

When I get bolder, I shall take long lonesome, midnight drives with my favourite jazz channel accompanying me and my night journey.

Today, I feel like a new beginning has dawned upon me and for the first time in a decade, I suddenly feel that I can resume my social activities and be the good old social butterfly P in Singapore as I have always been. A dark, overcasting shadow lifted off me. Finally, Australia (a place I felt trapped in and have existed in for a good 10.5 years) feels like home.

Oh, Happy Happy Australia Day!

Comments:
Congratulations! For me, I overcome my fear (I had to) when I become the designated chauffeur to drive my son to school. Before long, I really enjoy driving... even in Singapore traffic. :p

There is a sense of freedom achieved with driving. :)

Happy Australia day!
 
Hi CP,

Thank you!:D

It's a good thing to overcome!:D

Now I need to overcome my next 2 phobias- swimming/ water and lighting up naked flames!:)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?