Sunday, May 30, 2010

 
Grown Up

For the first time in two days, I became acquainted with the idea that I am actually a grown up. I mean, it felt to me like a slap on the head to wake up.

I suddenly felt quite awake from that.

My first of encounters began with people asking me about my "hubby" or wanting me to send their regards to my "hubby", namely DL. Of late, I have been getting a lot of that. I have been assumed to be married or rather, hold the status of a married person (god, I cringe at the thought of being a "woman").

I reckon running a very expensive business must make people think of me as a grown up, plus doing it with my partner/ boyfriend. Such a legally binding and expensive venture must make one assume that we have (dead knot)tied the nuptial knot.

Then I have been asked if I have children. Hell no, I would normally reply.

You see, I have (life)long held the view that being married and having kids are in the league of grown ups. I, "Young P" am not one.

Suddenly, it feels like self denial.

Except, it isn't. I don't feel grown up. My bank account will attest to that- I must have had much more when I was thirteen. I am not ready to grow up, much as the numbers are stacking up like a naggy grandmother. Bugger!

So last night, I was at an event where we sponsored a prize through our business to support a charity. I caught up with an old uni friend, Gemma who is also Singaporean. She confessed to me that she is really quite conscious about her age and not being married.

Why? I asked.

She has a great career, bought herself a nice apartment close to town, still looks young and have tons of social activities to keep her occupied.

That was precisely why, she said. Now isn't it time to take the next step?

I beg to differ, I said. I reckon I would want to be in good old Gemma's position anytime. My next step would be myself and exploring and trying to do all the things I couldn't do from my lack of financial resources in my youth. Life is too short to settle (down).

Last night, I wore a black art-deco style dress that DL bought me on my 23rd birthday, topped with a white faux fur 3/4 length sleeved bolero jacket. I found myself staring at the image of a thirty something lady in the mirror at the ladies' room.

It shocked me.

We rubbed shoulders with diplomats from our home country. They thanked us for sponsoring a prize for the event. As usual, they asked how long we have been in Ozland for. Eleven years for me and twelve for DL, we replied. They asked if we did our bachelor degree in Australia-yes we replied. Two of them made quick calculations of our ages and particularly one pig-faced fella eyed us suspiciously (as we exchanged business cards) and asked what we used to do prior to having this business. Meaning how did we manage to possibly accumulate such great wealth to own a business (albeit in dire straits unbeknownst to them) like that. Typical Singaporean- always measuring!

For once (phew!), those people must have thought we were a bit young for have achieved (or rather screwed up) like this!

I did feel somewhat old- me going up the stage to draw a prize for the lucky winner, being someone "in the business community" who have contributed. Imagine that! Like a VIP. Couldn't feel anymore grown up!

Especially when the bank account is constantly being depleted and the skin is fast youth-depleting, I never feel much more in need of magic age defying face creams now than ever before! I used too much of the good stuff in my youth when I should be doing that instead. My oh my, what a terrible place to be- regressing!

Oh, one last grown up tip for ladies out there, my take for the best youth elixir cream is from Sisley. Use the entire skincare and make up range if you could reach deep into your pockets!

Or snare a sugar daddy to buy you some before you look too old to get one!;)

I sure am saving my last pennies to look anything but grown up! Imagine that in less than 10 years, I hit the big 4-ty (or is it faulty???!!!!)!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?