Saturday, June 12, 2010

 
I can't do the Sum

Last week, we spent 2 consecutive nights without dinner. Having averaged 12 hours or more of physical labour, most places are closed by the time we could wrap up and relax over a hearty meal before we do the same thing all over again in less than 12 hours. We haven't the energy left to cook ourselves something to eat.

This has been the story of my life, or rather our lives (DL and mine) for what seems like forever. I was told we made nearly three grand last week. But we seem to have much more to pay than we could save. We even have to save on heating and guess what? It has been sub zero for the past few nights.


So through kind friends and the business people in the community we know off, referrals of dodgy or rather resourceful finance brokers have been given to us in the bid to help us close our sales and flip our financial fates over. But it seems like the close knitted Chinese community are just skeptical of the other racial groups and seem reluctant to undertake the risk. Even my attempts at alluding to bribery once the deal is done and dusted does not seem to attract these people who could help change my financial fate. I mean, read this: my fortunes would be recovered overnight literally. And my wealth can snowball once again with more money to run those advertising campaigns once again.

I have at least 5 people who are dependent for me to change their lives, which in turn changes mine. I am even getting daunted. Before long, my wave of debts will engulf me and I am literally fucked. As if my life, or rather ours is not fucked up enough.

Doesn't help that our things are falling apart like our newish laptops and heaven forbid, our old car. Some days it feels harder to live like this than others. And there are more resentful days DL and I have of our lives and of each other. But then there are some sweet moments we are able to take a piss at our situations, steal kisses whilst we go about doing our chores to meet our bill's expenses for the day.

Yeah, so life is really tough at the moment. I hope we stay strong long enough to meet the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ironically, when I was growing up, one of my Disney favourite song sung by Annette Funicello is "I can't do the sum".

I find myself singing the song a lot during my long hot showers.

" Bills, bills, bills.

The price of milk and egg and bread is rising everyday.
Now with our bank book in the red, these bills are hard to pay.
If we stop buying chocolate cake and live on green string beans,
exactly how much would it take to live within our means?"

Oh, oh, oh. Oh, oh, oh. Oh, oh, oh, oh,oh, oh, ohh...

Put down beans and cross out cake, let me see
Oh dear me
What a chore to undertake
milk plus bread
Oh my head
And subtract then multiply
till you're overcome.
This is much too hard for me
I can't do the sum."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?