Monday, October 18, 2010

 
End of the Road

or is it the beginning of a new life?

So yes, I have hit the end of the road with the business.

Bills, bills and more bills. Then there is all the failed deals. A few innocent people got hurt along the way. I had a week of sleepless nights and chasing all over town for money taken off by a rogue crook. I could only threaten to take him to the authorities, except the business of a good person will be severely compromised. I could only threaten and that was it.

Revenge needs to take the form of the unorthodox kind. The crook needs fixing up. Someday, we promised ourselves. Some day.

I have wheeled and dealed on both sides of the law and still under the table deals can fall through.

I have exhausted all my resources and used up all my bag of tricks.

Then there are the suckers who first took my money and fooled me into buying the business don't stop taking.

I am tired.

Last Friday, I broke down and cried in my home office.

I haven't sobbed and cried so loudly for the longest.

I didn't know how I could go on. I really don't.

Even to plan for an exit route, I still need more dole. An extra $22,000 or so to bail us out.

I sat down and did the sums yesterday. We are looking at a debt of $325,000.

The price for me to learn to smarten up.

I am only 31. Imagine the amount we have just spent in a year that I used to take 3 years to make as a headhunter. It feels like a long year.

Thankfully, we have no kids.

Or rather, I am thankful that I am still alive.

So I decided to ask for a sign on how to move forward in my life. I walked to the book shelf and picked out a book of quotes " Be Happy".

Voila- there laid my life's lesson:

Cut your Losses

Every good poker player knows it:
sometimes you have to throw in your hand.
The trick is knowing when to fight on
and when to bail out.
A good general rule:
when it's causing more harm than good,
it's time to leave it.

- Being able to persist is not the most important thing- the ability to start over is.
F. Scott Fitzgerald


Time to pack up, Warrior, I told myself.

Comments:
Remember the Kipling poem I sent you, IF?

Don't you think it speaks out to you?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?