Tuesday, September 13, 2011

 
Last Weekend

So how was your weekend?

Mine was somewhat interesting.

Talk about blast from the past- it felt like there was some cross interference of telephone lines which led me to feel there is so strange divine intervention at play, except Somewhat Up There must have got it a little mixed up...

On the weekend, DL, Rusty and I made a trip to Sydney. DL had booked into a savoury pie baking class held in a pastry school.

On our drive to Sydney, I decided to send Dope a text to see if we could catch up for coffee since I would have about four hours to kill.

I haven't seen Dope in two years and being the star crossed lovers (and now friends for that matter) that we once were, we always miss each other by the mere second due to mis-matched travelling schedules or simply bad timing. I didn't travel as much and when he does ever rarely return to Sad Town, for some strange reason, I would be out of town.

So I figured I might try my luck and see if we could catch up to see how things are travelling for him. Knowing that he will probably be paying his sleep debt on the weekend whilst he is back in Sydney and not jet setting to be closing the next mining deal, I thought my chances were slim but still worth the go.

Strange things do happen in my life and I have since learnt to follow the signs.

Here we were, DL, Rusty on leash and myself at 1pm, standing outside the pastry school with other eager students, the door to the baking school remained locked. Having nothing better to do and not much in the way of cafes, shops and real estate signs showing open house in this quiet part of the Eastern suburbs, my faithful dog and I waited to see DL into class before we figure out where we could both go next.

The class looked like it was running late and one lady took the initiative to ring the big telephone sign that hung outside the baking school.

To cut the long story short, the baking instructor has got into a car accident an hour before and as such, the class was cancelled. What are the odds, really? To think we travelled inter-state for this on a precious weekend and cancelled one of our business appointments only to have come in vain.

The strange thing though was that I did not "feel" as we were travelling to Sydney that the baking class was going to eventuate and that I was going to savour a pie made by DL. Somehow I felt we were both going to have heaps of spare time to kill in Sydney. It was like I knew I was not going to be left alone with nothing to do in this quiet part of the city.

So I was glad that Dope did not respond to my text.

With the rest of the afternoon free, DL and I took Rusty to a nearby park to roam freely whilst we read the newspapers sitting on the grass, with the nearby church bells tolling away relentlessly on a sunny but windy Spring afternoon. Then we decided to drive back into the city for a Thai massage. For some strange reason, we made a wrong turn whilst being in the city and ended up crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge paying toll and what not in the direction of the fancy Lower North Shore where my older sibling lives. Ironically, this weekend would have been the ONLY weekend that we would not have to cross the Harbour Bridge given that my older sibling had left the country that morning for overseas on a medical mission.

We were getting a little frustrated and as usual, DL cursed and reiterated the reason why he hated living and driving in Sydney since every wrong turn can result in a costly toll fee. With such short notice, the Thai massage salons in the Lower North Shore vicinity were unable to accomodate us, we headed back into the city centre.

Just as we arrived, I heard the beeping of my phone. Thinking it was the Dope responding to my text, I took out my phone and was ready to respond something along the lines of "Looks like we'll have to catch up another time. DL's class was cancelled."

I was greeted by the text.

"Hey P, how's it going? How's your new work? When are you next back in Sydney?"

It was sent by the Man.

I told him I happen to be in Sydney, how strange. I asked him how his family were and where he was living now.

He replied to say his family is good and has gone back to India for a few months and he said he lived in the suburb in the lower North shore where DL and I had just came from.

How coincidental.

Strange thing is that this hasn't been the first time the Man would text me with such accurate timing.

In the most recent instances, I would be in Sydney when it happens. The thing is I am not even in Sydney that often.

My past comes back to greet me every so often.

Like I said, I have learnt to follow the signs. Somehow I get the sense that some strange cosmic or divine intervention was at play. As some say, there is no real coincidences in this world. I don't know what to make of it and have learnt not to read too deeply into it.

But I do notice a strange phenomenon. There are a few instances where I was meant to catch up with the Man and the Dope on separate occasions in Sydney.

Those rare few times where both our timings matched, I fell into such deep sleep that I had missed all the appointments despite the loud persistent phone calls.

For an insomniac like me who gets awaken from the slightest noise or light, that would be quite the feat. It was like I had fallen into a coma for some incredible reason.

The other ironic thing is leading up to the meeting, there is usually some form of anticipation or excitement building up for both parties, both of the platonic or scintillating (just the mere possibility) kind.

So I have come to terms with the fact that some things are just not meant to be.

There will never be a good enough time.

That just wasn't in the cards.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?