Wednesday, May 16, 2012

 

Grown Up Matters

V came and left Sad Town last weekend for six days. It never feels enough, especially we have not seen each other for three years. My best friend got married and have had a baby during my absence. But the funny thing is, with good old true friends, you always pick things up from where you left. We were as familiar with each other as ever and I almost couldn't detect any signs of "grown up" changes in her as someone who now holds the status of a mother. **** Last week, I learnt the death of another friend. At age 42, he is too young too die. I heard it was lung cancer that took him where it was detected at a late stage. My friend is a health and gym freak. Tall, buff, health conscious, part time model and vain (read gay and you get the picture), who would have guess? I didn't recall he smoked. I met him formally during a groupie trip to Malaysia with the smart set when I was last back home three years ago. We were allocated to sit together on the plane and during the flight, we realised we had common interests in Buddhism and meditation. We shared the same hotel room and had a ball of a time at the club where we danced till the wee hours of the morning to 80s disco music and he spun me round and dip me backwards as we danced. The last I saw him was the night I left to return back to Australia three years ago. Ironically, he sent me his condolences for Fluffball via Facebook in May last year. And now he is gone. **** So being grown up leads to one facing first hand experiences of mortality. WHen I was younger, I thought death occurs only to really old people. While someone departs from earth, another life is created. My friend, DS just announced that his wife is pregnant and the baby is due in November. DS is a big kid at heart and it is funny when the people you grow up with starts having a spouse and then babies. I wonder if my life journey will ever take me there.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?