Thursday, July 26, 2012

 

Synergy

Harry and I have been friends since we were seventeen.

He was the ex-boyfriend of a good girlfriend of mine.

Strangely, we became better friends over the years and would catch up everytime I am back in town.

Harry viewed me as a buddy. We started partying together since we were seventeen, trawling the streets at night post parties until the break of dawn. We were young, fearless and carefree.

 I was the alpha female friend he has who got into many hapless love affairs. We used to talk about our flings and "conquests" and have had a good laugh over it. In fact, I went out with a number of his friends from school and uni so there were always common topics to laugh away.

Old friends have a way of lightening up my soul and putting a warm smile in my heart.

Like me, most of my old male friends have a superb memory so reminscing about our youth serves as a connection that bonds our friendship to this very day and a reminder of a time in our lives where we were young at heart, with not a serious care in the world.

And P's return continues to reinforce that. After all, P unlike many of their female friends is still not married, a spontaneous creature of the night and continues to retain the very same essence and consistency that led them to be thick as thieves from the youthful days. I continue to have a swinging bachelorette's soul.

I reckon for the most part I haven't changed- still as unjudgemental when it comes to one's love affairs and promiscuity, forever vain, always a good sport when it comes to taking a joke on myself and still as open a book as ever. The only thing that must have changed is that I am at least a good 10kg heavier. Heh!

Last Friday, Harry and I planned to meet up to re-live the good old days and party the night away.

We texted each other to discuss where we should head off to. Simultaneously, we came up with the same place- Zouk Wine Bar. During our youth, we spent many a Wednesday evenings at the Zouk mambo night dancing into the wee hours of the morning. Again, he was also a boy that I first met as a non-smoker who got into the nasty habit at aged 18 and never quite seem to completely get out of it.

When Harry finally picked me up in a cab, we laughed at the coincidence of our choice of the place for meeting and merry-making. Guess old friends often share a similar chemistry.

Our night was cut short ironically when we headed to the nearby whisky bar to join Harry's colleagues that the Old Boy and I were permanent fixtures to the joint many moons ago. The Old Boy's cousin has a share in the business.

Gem and Photographer came to join us. The night was curtailed as the Photographer suggested we go home. Harry was planning to join his colleagues for a big boy's night out at the KTV lounge as his wife was out of town.

As a good buddy should be, I let Harry join his friends for a night of "boys' fun" and dutifully went home with Gem and Photographer. I was first dropped off home by Gem followed by Photographer who lives a stone's throw from my house.

Of course, no action followed with Gem and there I resign to fate that some fun are meant to be dished out as single serves. After all, as back to Harry's male theory of "spreading one's seeds", a man's proposition of getting as many women into bed is a numbers' game. As an alpha female, I should know the rules of the game by now.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?