Sunday, August 05, 2012

 

Wine & Alcohol makes the world go round...

Been drinking and enjoying a fair bit of wine since I have got home in Sad Town.

As some of you would know, I haven't been much of a drinker at home in Sad Town although my house has a good selection of wine, hard liquor and beer. DL loves his pre-dinner drinks, especially his red wine to go with his eye fillet or Wagyu steak.

I, for one have an aversion for alcohol with the mere reminder that a glass of wine or alcohol is akin to downing a glass full of sugar. As it is, I am fat enough and need to lose another 5kg to 10kg (which I will aim for 5kg for starters!). Alcohol has now been for awhile, reserved mostly for  social season when I am home drinking and bantering with friends back in Singapore or when I am doing my social rounds travelling. If not, I will only be drinking when DL and I are dining at a nice restaurant and it feels just right to match our food with alcohol.

I attributed my abstinence of drinking from having one too a many in my hapless past life of my mid to late twenties. My inability to control my drinking once I get into the mood had led me to a lot of compromising situations that I wish in hindsight would never happen and also the betrayal of my dark and sinister moods. Then there were also the Friday evening drinks at work as a headhunter where I was busy working away  at my desk at night accompanied by a glass or two of Sauvignon Blanc. Then I would take a train home much later, feeling lonely, drunk and melancholic...

But what I love most about drinking are the heightened emotions of glassiness I get from it. I almost feel invincible when I get a good buzz and it puts me in a mood to love or at least, infatuate. The great amount of Dutch Courage I accumulated from it makes everything possible, provided I am not in a melancholic mood (that results in a different reaction altogether). Suddenly, some men do appear rather attractive and I am so capable of loving once more.

When I was home in Singapore, I suffered the unfortunate malady of a bad cough, a sore throat and loss of voice for the most part of my trip. Naturally, I avoided most alcohol with a vengeance barring beer, which is a lot more soothing to my throat. I have never drunk so much beer in my life. In fact, I never used to drink beer and the only beers I could stand drinking were Hoegaarden and Crown Lager. I was more a whisky, cocktail and Sauvignon Blanc person.

Strangely, after a long hiatus from excessive drinking, I find myself still not tipsy from continuous consumption of beer. I still find myself holding my liquor well and never once, did I feel like I had a buzz even on the night where Gem a.k.a Mr. Tingles and I kissed. I must have had at least close to ten small cans of Asahi but I was clear as crystal. If anything, I wished I would grow tipsy so that perhaps, I would be a lot bolder and responsive to his advances and less restrained. After all, I have been out of practice for so long and never thought my romantic or sex life would get any spice anymore should I remain at status quo with my relationship with DL.


The only night when I was drunk was the untimely night where Danya and I had our girly catch up at Balaclava on a Tuesday evening three weeks ago. We were having such a great time catching up and me listening to her love stories and latest update about her affair with Mr. Big that we lost sight of how many glasses of whisky drunk neat for me and gin tonic for her. By the time we got home and sobered up, we realised that most of the cash in our wallets have disappeared from our night of merry-making. And it was the ONLY time Gem a.k.a Mr. Tingles rang me to see where I was. I was so drunk and with the live music in the background so loud, I didn't think to ring him back after I hung up on him. Much later, when I sobered up, it was too late. That was my only regret in my trip. I walked home from Danya's house (our last stop post being drunk) at 2a.m and it was then I noted the repeated number of silly drunk sms texts I sent out to Gem "Cum get me..." or something along the lines. I needed to find a hole to bury my face. The next morning, I smsed him to apologise for me being a nuisance. Perhaps he was being gracious to save me from my embarrassment, he said he was not being disturbed at all as he had left the phone in his car.


So here I am, on a Sunday evening recounting my tale and wondering what to write with a small glass of Merlot accompanying me at my desk.


There is something that I have been meaning to write about my recent trip in Singapore but at the moment, I am holding it close to my chest. One part of me feel almost silly (my friends will say to me , "Aiyah P, you never learn. Do you?") and another part of me think that perhaps by penning down in words, it will help me close the case in my head and to record it down in the annals of my history. Still, I would like to do justice to what I am going to write by putting more thought in the selection of my words and slowly savouring my writing, like I do with a nice glass of wine. I don't think I am quite ready yet. We'll see if my mind is lucid and present enough in an hour or two to connect my thoughts to the arrangement of those words.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?