Wednesday, May 22, 2013

 

To date...

I must say I am quite contented with how my life is going at the moment.

It is nice and quiet when I come back to an empty home after a hard day's work but I relish the solace.

There were glimmer of moments I catch myself rushing home, only to be reminded there was no need to feel that sense of urgency because Rusty is gone. I have no dog to come home to care for or feed. I had to let that split second of pain (being reminded of her frail, final days) pass and move on from that thought.

For once, I am living the life of me. No boyfriend or dog or baby to worry about. Just the focus of me and developing my own potential in my career and my spiritual life.

My new job have been great so far. I am right in the swing of things. Just a week into the job and I have already brought three deals into the business. I am the rising star of the office once more. The head honcho likes my tenacity (and ability to get into the swing of work like a pro when I had only undergone a crash course on my client account in four short days which would be expected for one to get her head around in two weeks) and my colleagues love me (People have a way of finding me funny when I have no intention to be, I realise. Therein is the reason why it is so funny, they say. And maybe because I swear way too much- a little unexpected from a sweet faced Asian girl;) I made the entire office stop and drop their work to find me something I couldn't find on the database when I was under the pump and when I found it a a minute later and declared "Crisis averted everyone!", everyone thought it was so hilarious. The gay head honcho said jokingly,Ok everyone you can resume your work now because P has averted the crisis!). I have super nice colleagues too. Barely a week into my job, I have already been offered a ride home by three different colleagues, the third being the head honcho today because I was staying too late in the office. And it was only 6.30pm.

So yes, life is dealing me a change in fortune. I am apparently the dark horse of the office, so my colleagues say. If I keep going and building my business pipeline now, in three months' time when I am eligible for bonuses, I might start making some real money and be back on track financially. Not to mention once I get traction in my side job of marketing property development in Vanuatu. It will make an awesome story to tell about the rise and fall and rise of Miss P.

For once, I do feel a sense of belonging within a workplace setting. It is hard to explain because I always got on well with my colleagues and form a good relationship with people. Here I feel I am in my element where I get to be me. Perhaps it has something to do with coming back into a more senior role and getting a better handle of the concept of work. You see, despite clocking in long hours in the past, I never took work seriously and only saw it as a means of making money. Yes, I am still very much a financially motivated individual but I am beginning to see purpose in it too. The head honcho has mentioned several times this week that out of all the staff, I have traits that most resembles him. We are both commercially minded who hates administrative duties and I am just as demanding as him when I need answers quickly to solve a problem. But I reckon having a hands on head honcho whom I can go to for advice and help plus a team of supportive colleagues is the winning formula to an enjoyable work environment despite the steep learning curve of organising my desk and knowing the ins and outs of my client accounts which are predominantly government department which we hold laborious business terms and conditions with.

And yes on the home front, I am gaining some normality. For the first time last week in the longest while, I didn't really have to penny pinch when shopping for groceries and went crazy scooping up $700 worth of fashion bargains which would have normallycost me close to $1500, which comprised of a suit, a silk blouse,a drapey jacket, a body con shift dress and leather ponti pants. I felt like I was winning once more and for once, I could afford to pay attention to myself and be that once-upon-a-time- always-stylish-Miss P again!

But yes, my past few years of feeling broke and frugality have instilled some form of prudence in me. I could have kept going and would have love to also indulge in a few Alannah Hill (my favourite Australian designer whom once upon a time, DL would be my Devil's advocate and instead of  stopping me from further spending in that store, he would buy me nearly half the shop over) frocks but I have grown circumspect over the years and focus on chic functionality over pretty, handmade aesthetics (which is intuitively more my fashion style). So now, with limited resources, I just got to learn to prioritise. Being on my own means that I seriously need to think about my retirement strategies and being able to invest my money wisely will now be more of a priority. As I also enjoy learning and taking up on courses that interest me, investing in my education is also another top priority for my personal development.

Life could not have been better at the moment and for once, it is really all about me. And I am really enjoying this new lease of life. I do feel at one with myself. I plan to stay in this contented place for awhile...





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?