Sunday, June 30, 2013

 

Weed

There is something magical about the mixture of great company consisting of quality philosophical conversations about life and art, alcohol and the sharing of a joint. And of course, some jazz music playing softly in the background.

I love the good buzz I get from my alcohol, the relaxing effect of weed and the aroma of it as I watch the smoke swirl up slowly before vanishing in thin air. It reminded me of my time in Paris- that scent brought me back to a time where I led the life of a bohemic artist in an apartment with old creaking floorboards not far from Momarte and my room with the view of Sacred Couer in the near distance. Ah, that bitter sweet scent. We(my friend, Leigh who was a trust fund kid turned hippie and who used to harvest and operate a hydroponics crop on a significant scale was of course quite the connoissieur)  used to smoke some really fine weed (not the loose, weak stuff) smuggled back from Amsterdam where it was kept in a clay urn in my room.

I haven't smoked one since late 2010. I had two yesterday.

Being single now with lesser domestic responsibilities and worries now meant I could resume my social life with people I care to keep company with and indulge in a good banter. Between the three of us, we have possess a  good number of artists, writers, dreamers, and philosopher traits in us, not to mention me as a through and through dilettante. How we all ended up in Sad Town was thanks to moi. Soci came to do his philosophy degree because I told him about the local university but I didn't knew him before. I knew his dad, who was the Old Boy's good friend and who had decided to introduce his son to me so that I could give him some education advice ( he was meant to go to the expensive Bond University in the Gold Coast whom it he could well have ended up more of a beach bum than a hippie). And then I met Destiny, a talented fashion designer and artist (and I should also add brilliant self-taught hairdresser) at a party back in Singapore and where they were introduced to each other at the pre-F1 party at the White Rabbit. The rest is history. She decided to follow her heart and came along to be with her love. And almost five year on, they are still one.

We sat together and drank bottles of beer and cider and smoked a joint together inside my house. My bachelorette house where I can do whatever I please now because it belongs to me and only me. That all familiar dryness I feel in my throat everytime I inhale the smokes deeply before I exhale as we watch the smoke swirl up the air and the smoke from the joint doing a slow, lazy upward spiral. We chatted about my new boy/ object of affection, relationships, life, Soci's next steps (given his long overdue pending graduation which he took his time to complete but scoring Distinction averages on his essays) and Destiny's career plans. We finished a bag of Doritos and Chickadees (can you imagine? I found this childhood snack here at a local supermarket!) on top of that. We just had dinner at a Soul Food Restaurant with another bunch of friends prior.

It was simply awesome company and I felt I am slowly getting back my social life again. We called it a night at a very civillised hour, just before twelve midnight and I sat back on the couch and relaxed, feeling as drowsy and sleepy as an insomniac like me could possibly get...




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?