Tuesday, July 29, 2008

 
New Play
(a lead up from “Moving Along”)

I knew Big M from that era when I just got back from Paris, broke without a job and let alone a career. It was on a day where Gigi and I were doing our duo gig at Attica where his big boy group of friends picked us up. The boys were celebrating his 33rd birthday. Big M was originally interested in Gigi and they went out a couple of times, sparking no romantic flames although he tried to assist her in her job search within the financial markets through some introductions.

Big M and I have always kept on and off over the last few years. Being female and somewhat a little exotic in my background, Big M being a big boy and a white expatriate attracted to the female species and familiar with the stock available in the local social scene was naturally intrigued by me. Big M is no looker, given that he resided on the rotund side.It was no rocket science to get a guy like him interested. I have also noticed then that he had displayed a certain self consciousness towards my assertive confidence and seeming eloquence despite having an impressive career track record in the financial markets and academic background at an ivy league and being well travelled himself; this possibly stemming from his lower to middle-class Australian background of Irish descent. He had earned his way up the corporate and inevitably social ladder as a yuppie with a jetsetting lifestyle so to speak but every so often, the shadows of the self esteem that shaped his formative years seem to have unwittingly betray him.

Every so often, Big M would make sexual innuendos my way given that I could be quite a teaser with him with my love for wordplay. That new year of 2006, Big M came all the way out to meet me at the club from all my sms teases only to realise that the accompanying friend I have mentioned was a male. It was my M. He bought M and I more drinks but was bordering on being all touchy feely with me. M decided to back off to one corner at the dance floor to “enjoy” himself whilst I caught up with Big M whom I hadn't seen in a year ( I was to find out the next day that M wasn't upset or truly concerned with Big M at all since at this stage, he was agonising over learning the truth of my long term relationship with DL). Big M made several advances to send me home and even went as far as to say heck my friend i.e. M. I was firm with my “no”decision and Big M left, possibly feeling somewhat ego bruised. I never heard from him for a long time.

It was during one of my headhunting calls that I remembered Big M's unique background. My team was running out of ideas as we trawled the market for quality Aussie candidates with certain experiences and skill sets within Asia and London to return to Sydney to fill in a certain position. It must have been mid-year 2007. I finally tracked Big M down and found him to be based in Hong Kong. From thereon, we contacted each other on and off via email. I was also to find out in this first headhunting call that he had got himself engaged to a Singaporean girl, also a high flyer like himself within the financial markets. Despite so, his romantic overtures never stopped despite my attempts at remaining platonic friendly.

Shortly before I left my job, I rang Big M again on yet another assignment where by now he has relocated back to Singapore. I asked him light-heartedly when his big day was. He mentioned that the wedding reception was done, sealed and dusted that week before and he had just returned from Phuket where it was held. Naturally, I congratulated him and again proposed that when we next caught up, please introduce that lucky lady to me in part to mitigate any room for misconstrued intentions. Big M always excluded a reply on then and instead continued to focus on wanting to spend one-to-one time with me.

*****

As timely as timing could be last Thursday, I have been needing some new play to distract my thoughts from the Old Boy. He has bid his farewell on sms that morning since he was travelling and has flagged that communication between us was likely to ceased until I return from my pilgrimage in September.
Given the fiasco at the spa, I have been determined to find ways to exorcise my feelings for the Old Boy at all cost.

Luck became my lady that night.

Big M and I agreed to meet up. But it had to be late at night since his last meeting didn't start until 10.30pm if it was alright, he cautioned.

I have been restless with my thoughts and being a lady of the night, I much rather have the company of a real human being than that of my insomniac thoughts.

( More about it in the upcoming post “Ballatine”)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?