Wednesday, January 07, 2009

 
Last Christmas and now...

From: dilettantep@hotmail.com
To: The Old Boy
Subject: RE: hello, just to keep in touch
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:21:24 +0000

Hi Darling,

I realise it is indeed Dec-another year has passed and X'mas is round the corner...

This year has been a turbulent year with many changes on my end...and looking back its only been 12 months... similarly for u on the work front...

The point I am trying to make is I don't know if I could think of any solutions for you as with my current situation with the resto... we are having serious staffing issues and Tina and I had a tiff last nite and we kindda sorted it out today but I feel that the way we would manage this biz would be diff and potentially things might not go through... I work 15 hr days now and am basically trying to mend the holes and live on a day to day basis...

So the point I wanna make is that the world is your oyster hidden with many opportunities...its your decision to make whether to take a chance or not... life is a gamble but u could always make a calculated move... end of the day is, can you handle the consequences as well as the rewards? sometimes, its no good seeing the short term losses and lose sight of the long term benefits, as with how Tina and Damo are handling the resto at the mo... but to reap the rewards, one does need to walk that extra mile and go through the trials and tribulations... its part of character building...

You know what is the good and bad thing about you? You are not risk taking-which also means to say you take a prudent stance in your decision making approach and plus u like to do ur research and have complete info, this is the chance for u to face urself and make a decision right now whether u can handle outlaying the $ and make ur $20k work for you... so having say that, do ur homewk and strike whilst the iron is hot.

Also, I must have read somewhere of pp havng the fear of success instead of failure... sometimes I think u are like that simply cos u cling too much to security...its that emotional insecurity that holds u back from doing a lot of great things...its prob the time now for u now to launch and pp believe in u... but now, the most impt thing is do u believe in yourself and do u know ur own mkt value i.e. what u think u can do and the accompanying end result...

Ok, enough said... I am sure what I say above u already know... I am sorry for once I cannot find u a quick solution as I am wont to do...

The meditation in Nepal did something to me... am heaps calmer now... in fact, I am not really stressed with anything these days... am still a worry wart sometimes but I don't quite feel the same anxiety.... maybe too tired to worry each day so I juz got to go to the battlefield to deal with a fresh day of challenges each day....

On another note re how time flies, I heard on facebook that the Koran is getting married... goes to show u never know when happiness could start knocking on your door... one day a person could be down on his luck, another day, he might be at the top of the world.... so pt is you never know maybe this opp might well be that big break that one part of you has always hope to get... but remember, opportunities are self created... u must know when to seize them when they come..

OK, u take care and write me soon... I still miss and love you as always...

P

_____________________________________________________________________________________



From: The Old Boy
To: dilettantep@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: hello, just to keep in touch
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:33:48 +0000

thanks for the lovely long letter and the words of encouragment. its funny how you and wifey see things so differently...but then again, perhaps she is more like me and not so much like you...anyway, i don't think that she is too keen with me taking the plunge into owning my own biz or anything like that. think i would just have to work too hard and i won't be used to putting in such hard work. heh heh. anyway, bottom line is that she kinda veto'ed the offer and i feel the same way although i am not sure if i would be able to find a job...in this economic climate.

am going to start hunting for jobs today...

as for your 15 hour days....you KNOW how i feel about that right? i should just pour in some money here and let you run my restro...or partnership with you...i KNOW that owning a restro or something like that has always been a dream of mine...perhaps one day...when i can afford to lose that type of money.

take care

_____________________________________________________________________________________

From: dilettantep@hotmail.com
To: The Old Boy
Subject: RE: hello, just to keep in touch
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:45:05 +0000

Hey,

Good to get such a quick reply from you... just finish my super long day and was logging in to see if I got any resumes on my wk email but as usual I side tracked...;)

Guess it's understandable why wifey makes the decision as she is wont to make, with kids and all plus she iis just like u, prudent... at the end of the day, its all perception... do u want to make each of your $ work harder than you and you might well make a breakthrough or stick to the straight and narrow path where you won't fall too hard but you serve a longer time in the workforce to make just a decent buck... nothing wrong with both as long as you can handle the decision you make...

That's probably not a bad thing given that the both of you come up with the same conclusion in your decision maaking... sometimes I wish things are so with DL and me...

Hey, when I was at the monastery, my teacher made us meditate on Death... and to reflect that if we know we only had 12 hours more to live, what would we do? I realise two things: 1) I hope I won't live in regret for procrastinating on doing the things I want to achieve and 2) Maybe nothing really matters as much as I give meaning to it through attachment...

And so now I try my best to live like I have only 12 hours left to live... point is, maybe you should think hard enough on the goals in your life and work through them... if you got just ONE goal achieved, the rest will follow... try doing the 100 goals check list of "Things I hope/ dream to achieve before I die" and put it away... and look at it in 6 months' time- you might have achieved or in the midst of reaching some of them... maybe not all in this lifetime but some... then you would know if you had to die the next day, you wouldn't die in regrets...

My dear, I don't know what you feel about me putting in 15-hr days... that's part and parcel of resto work... if its 100% mine, I would have done more time... but know what? Physically, I am tired sometimes but for the most part, my passion and spirits keep me going...I am finally having a half day off on Tues and am looking forward to my 2.5 hrs Certified Wat Po Thai massage... heheh... and then finally being able to do the laundry and tidy the house and spend time with DL and Fluffball... well, I don't know how I am going to fit them all in but will try to squeeze out time...

Also, in any business remember, never start with thinking that you are going to lose money, that's half the fight lost... yes, you will not make $$$ initially but thats the time to buy goodwil... at the end of the day, one just gotta have enough capital to go into something that they can handle/ stomach losses I guess...

and yes, if you want to set up a resto, I'll be there for you...

Speak soon... me gotta sleep...

Btw, I am incommunicado-dropped my ph in the toilet bowl and now my phone is fucked but no time to even get new phone... I might even have lost your no and many others since I stupidly saved all my nos on my phone...sigh...

P

_____________________________________________________________________________________


RE: hello, just to keep in touch‏
From: The Old Boy
Sent: Monday, 15 December 2008 12:17:44 AM
To: dilettantep@hotmail.com

oh, if it is not too late, dismantle your phone and put it in some rice...uncooked...as it acts as a desicant...and soaks up the moisture...the main thing is that you shouldn't turn your phone on...although i suspect that you have already that's why you know that your phone is on the blink.

tks for the comments and have read through them. will sit down and think of the 100 goals but i guess if i had only 12 hours to live...just speaking generally, i think i've achieved more than what i have expected out of life...i have lived a pretty good life except for seeing my kids walk down the church with their brides and having grand children. other than that...i am pretty satisfied with my work life. i've come from a low plumber contractor to becoming a general manager of a company and setting it up all by myself, and in an IT firm at that. the switch is what i'm really proud of. from contracting to IT business. i think that's really a good effort as i've worked hard to accumulate knowledge of an industry that i knew nothing about in a span of about 3 years or so. that someone trusts me to start up a company for them is also an achievement. i'm satisfied. with the last 12 hours, i would like to spend them with my family and my closest friends. nothing doing with work. just my family and my friends beside me.

guess i cherish my family and friends more than anything else...

of course, there are my favourite foods like chicken rice, burger king's whopper, although they seem insignificant compared to spending my last few hours with my kids...

take care

Old Boy

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?